Colez is having a baby in July, and I decide that I should probably make her baby a baby blankie. I am kind of a baby blanket fanatic, I myself still have my own baby blanket after 27 years (I think it’s impressive). As a kid I was very particular about my “GeeGee” and I never let it drag on the ground or get dirty. My mom would wash it for me a “special” way, I had very high standards. Anyway’s I understand the importance of an awesome baby blanket probably better than anyone, so I felt that it was my duty as a good Auntie to make sure that the little chipplette also understands this.
I was originally inspired to try and crochet the Granny Square style blanket from a post that I had seen on Apartment Therapy’s Ohdeedoh site. Next I had to figure out how to crochet. I found another useful way to use the internet and I had youtube teach me how to crochet. After a lot of trial and error I was finally starting to feel confident.
I found the pattern via an expert crocheter’s flickr page. It’s called a sunburst pattern, here’s a link in case anyone else might be interested in making a sweet ass babe blankie.
The first ten squares! After doing some research on the internets I decided to try out Cascade 220 Superwash wool. The colors are super vibrant, and in my small amount of experience, it seems like a lot of nautral fiber yarns don’t come with so many color options. I was happy with the results.
I couldn’t figure out how big to make a baby blanket. In the end I made it the size of my kitchen table.
I didn’t make any of the squares the same, but I did make different versions with the same colors.
Shit Yeah, it’s almost done. I have it all sewed together, the last and most boring step is to tuck in all the loose strings.
I added an extra round to all the squares including a nice little space in each of the four corners. This way when I joined them it created a pretty little star pattern. There was really no rules when it came down to joining the squares together, I did single crochets which created a raised seam on one side. For the border I added a simple scallop pattern, and adjusted where needed as I went around the perimeter. In 2011 I made a few more sunburst squares and joined them together to make a sweet little pillow for my son Gus’ room. Check out this post to see more details on that project.